Old 05-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
Mama J
This user has no status.

----

Diamond Valley Champion!
Mama J is a jewel in the roughMama J is a jewel in the roughMama J is a jewel in the rough
Default Eisenhower Funeral Train

Does anyone remember when the funeral train came through town at stopped at the depot?
Mama J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
alynne84
Super Moderator
is Smilin"

----

alynne84 is a glorious beacon of lightalynne84 is a glorious beacon of lightalynne84 is a glorious beacon of lightalynne84 is a glorious beacon of lightalynne84 is a glorious beacon of lightalynne84 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't remember it, but I have heard about it.
alynne84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
Santiago
This user has no status.

----

Thanked 1,743 Times in 830 Posts
Santiago has a reputation beyond reputeSantiago has a reputation beyond reputeSantiago has a reputation beyond reputeSantiago has a reputation beyond reputeSantiago has a reputation beyond reputeSantiago has a reputation beyond reputeSantiago has a reputation beyond reputeSantiago has a reputation beyond reputeSantiago has a reputation beyond reputeSantiago has a reputation beyond reputeSantiago has a reputation beyond repute

I remember the days when passenger trains stopped in Washington. When I was in the Air Force in Texas, I thoroughly enjoyed several over night trips on the Texas Eagle from San Antonio to St. Louis and then the B and O to Vincennes and Washington.
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:14 AM   #4
dcs1
This user has no status.

----

dcs1 is a glorious beacon of lightdcs1 is a glorious beacon of lightdcs1 is a glorious beacon of lightdcs1 is a glorious beacon of lightdcs1 is a glorious beacon of lightdcs1 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama J View Post
Does anyone remember when the funeral train came through town at stopped at the depot?

I was a student at IU when Ike died. I came home to watch the funeral train go through town. In those days all passenger trains stopped at the depot to change crews. Since people knew the train would stop there was a huge crowd all around the depot area. According to reports at the time it was the largest crowd along the route of the trains trip from Washington, D.C. to Abilene, Kansas. The size of the crowd attracted the attention of the Eisenhower family and some of the family members came to the windows of the coach to wave and acknowledge the people in the crowd. Pictures from the event made several of the larger newspapers throughout the nation. I remeber several kids putting pennies on the track before the train came through and then collecting the flattened pennies as souveniers when the train left. Most of the train crew coming into town and leaving town were Washington residents. All the crews for the entire trip were selected from railroaders who were veterans of WWII and had served under Ike in Europe.
dcs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dcs1 For This Useful Post:
alynne84 (05-13-2009), Captain Kirk (05-13-2009), chimera221 (06-26-2009), debc (05-13-2009), Hawes Ditch (06-08-2009), Mama J (05-13-2009), washsmith1 (05-13-2009), winniep (05-14-2009)
Old 05-13-2009, 07:52 AM   #5
Mama J
This user has no status.

----

Diamond Valley Champion!
Mama J is a jewel in the roughMama J is a jewel in the roughMama J is a jewel in the rough

I remember Dad picking sis and I up and school and taking us to the depot. I think most of Washington was there. Thanks for that history of the train, very interesting/
Mama J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
sarky
is Iam a great believer in luck,
and I find the harder I work
the more I have of it.

----

Roulette 4 Champion! Mega Slots Slingo Champion! Slingo Bonus Bet 21 Jumbo Champion! Turkey Bowling 2005 Champion!
sarky will become famous soon enoughsarky will become famous soon enough

I was just a little kid, but my father put a penny on the track for me as luck would have it we never found the penny.
sarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
cl77
This user has no status.

----

cl77 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I remember the train. We also placed a penny on the track. I can remember alot of people was all along the track. I also remember passanger trains going thru town all the time.
cl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
winniep
This user has no status.

----

Spider Solitare One Suit Champion!
winniep is on a distinguished road

I can remember Dad putting me on his shoulders so I could get a better look. I cant believe I can recall that day because I was very young.
winniep is offline   Reply With Quote